Copyright ©2007-2013 Leehey Olson Law, P.C. The determination of the need for legal services and the choice of a lawyer are extremely important decisions and should not be based solely upon advertisements or self-proclaimed expertise. Click here for the full disclaimer.
A Brief Introduction to Personal Injury Lawsuits
If you have been injured by someone else’s negligence or reckless behavior, you may be interested in winning compensation for the expenses you are now facing. To get that compensation, you will need to file a personal injury suit against the person or people who caused your injuries. This is not a simple process, but the assistance of a qualified Cedar Rapids personal injury lawyer can make it much easier.
First, you and your attorney will need to gather as much information about the accident and your injuries as possible. It is virtually impossible to win a lawsuit without documented evidence. Some things you will need to demonstrate include:
- The cause of the accident
- The defendant’s role in the accident
- How the accident directly caused your injuries
- How your injuries have affected your life
- Medical expenses that are directly related to your injuries
Your attorney will use all of this evidence to build a legal case. To win a lawsuit, you need to convince a jury of all of the following:
- The defendant had some obligation towards your health
- The defendant failed to meet this obligation
- The accident was a direct and predictable result of this negligence
- The accident was the main or only cause of your injuries
How a Lawsuit Can Help
If your lawsuit is successful, you may be awarded compensation for some or all of the following:
- Lost wages, if you missed work for medical treatment
- Current, past, and future medical expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Punitive damages (a penalty paid by the defendant)
If you have been a victim of negligence, learn more about your legal rights by contacting a Cedar Rapids personal injury attorney with Leehey Olson Law, P.C., at (319) 294-4424.